Monday 2 February 2009

Scones During a Blizzard

Whilst the snow came down outside, I was getting all domesticated inside. I'd decided to make some scones.
I've no pastry cutters and no baking tray so I had to modify what I had got to help - a pizza tray and some tin foil would do to bake them on and I'd have to use my hands to make balls of dough and squish them to shape. It appeared to work quite well, as they lasted all of 30 minutes! So much for taking some into work...
How to make my scones - and I've used this recipe since I was 14 - that's how easy it is:
8oz Self Raising Flour
Half a teaspoon of salt
1oz Sugar
2oz Margarine
1 Egg
Milk
Mix the flour and salt in a basin.
Melt the margarine in a jug (20 seconds in the microwave)
Stir into the flour, adding the sugar.
Beat the egg in the same jug the margarine was in (this saves on washing up), and add it to the mixture.
Using a fork bring all of the ingredients together, adding a little milk as required to get a doughy mixture.
(The gin and wine in the picture is not always a requirement of making the scones - LOL)
Bring the final mixture together with your hands.
Roll out on a floured surface to about 1 inch thick.
Using a pastry cutter, cut into rounds (or if you don't have a cutter make small balls of dough and flatten slightly with your hands)
Place each scone onto your baking tray
Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with a small amount of sugar.
Place in a pre-heated oven on 220 degrees for a fan assisted oven or gas mark 7-8.
Cook for 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown.
Then - hope you get a look in before the hungry hoards do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment